Monday, May 19, 2008

Aussie food sucks. Nuff said!

Of course that sounds mean. I meant it that way. First of all, I don't understand how companies can make items with the same label that are supposed to be the same as in the US so godawfully different. I once ate a can of Campbells' tomato soup over here and nearly gagged because it was so sugary! Even a lot of rissoles, which are essentially hamburger patties with "stuff" in them i.e. vegetables, are sweet half the time. Nobody is sugaring up my food except the manufacturers. This is the way things that should be totally savory come off the shelf here and it farking scares me, being a diabetic and has since I first realized it.

So this morning I was hungry and the food supply in the house was slack so I get this stuff out of the cabinet called "All day breakfast". Oh yum! baked beans, sausage, a sprinkling of ham and a few potatoes. That should be a decent meal right? NO! As I heated it in the microwave I read the can out of boredom. I nearly dropped it when I read that this contained 30 grams of sugar! Ok... Potatoes, high carbohydrate, but not enough of those in it to warrant 30 F*CKING grams of SUGAR. Beans maybe a little of it, but, I am figuring the sauce it was in might be the culprit. It doesn't even taste that good though. Why add the sugar?

This will keep happening until I decide to cook everything I eat from vegetables I grew in the ground. What's ridiculous is the extra, totally un-necessary sugar makes the food taste like crap. If I'm going to commit sugary genocide against myself I at least want to make it worth it. Hell I could have a *real* Pepsi or Coke for that much sugar. Hell, even a packet of Peanut M&M's would have been a healthier breakfast for me. And folks, I think that's mighty sad.

I guess that this wouldn't come off as that important to some people who aren't used to having these things, but, WHERE THE #$#& CAN I GET CRISPY BACON AROUND HERE? That is the only part of a pig worth eating. The crispy yummy breakfasty American style fatty bacon. And if you ask for it in Australia, the butcher will look at you like you just told them you shot their dog and they have testicular cancer, but sang the news to the tune of "Somewhere over the Rainbow". Also, hot dogs have SKIN EWW EWW EWW. I would nearly kill for some Oscar Meyer wieners. And for those of you that don't understand American branding, I know nobody named Oscar or Oscar Meyer so don't even try to make a bad joke. Also, to my dismay, Slim Jims do not make it through customs. I tried =(.

Anyway I'm trying to find some better stuff to eat on the grocery store website (http://www.woolworths.com.au) Apparently they deliver groceries to this area now. WOOT! Also I'm hanging with Bob and feel rude tabbed over bitching about food while he's around. So bye for now!

1 comment:

g-man said...

yea, sounds like a hotel that's near my house. they put sugar in every single thing they make, even the *spicy* stuff. methinks it could be a bengali influence